Skin flaking and dandruff above ears. Risk of hairfall and treatment?

Over the past year or so, I have developed alot of skin flaking/dandruff above my ears in a small area about one by one inch right above my ear in the hairline. What is the cause of this? How can I treat it? Is there any risk of the hair falling out in this area?

Thank you!
Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 2 hours later

There are two most probable causes of what you have described;
-Seborrheic dermatitis and
Both conditions present with oily scaly crust on the scalp and may be associated with itching. Seborrheic dermatitis turns to be generalized on the scalp or to cover a larger part. No specific treatment is available but the condition is usually well managed with daily use of medical shampoos.

Psoriasis is difficult to differentiate if it occurs only on the scalp. Treatment also is non specific and makes use of steroid, retinoid etc.

Other possible causes could be an eczema especially if you have one else where on your body, infection caused by the fungus Malassezia etc.

In the chronic stages hair fall could be associated.

You should see a dermatologist for detail examination and an appropriate management.

Hope this answers your query. If you have more query, i will be glad to help.
Best regards.