Skin feel clammy weak. Eat sugar before going to sleep. Suggest?

I wake up around 3am sick, my skin feel clammy, weak, I feel like that when I eat sugar before bedtime. My nurse at work told me that my blood sugar goes high and then drop to low.
Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Pratap VGM 32 minutes later

Welcome to Health Care Magic

If you are experiencing high blood sugars alternating with low blood sugars especially at the night times, it appears to be SOMOGYI EFFECT.

SOMOGYI EFFECT is characterized by rebounding high blood sugars in response to low blood sugars. Usually it is caused by increase in the secretion of counter regulatory hormones which increases the blood sugars in response to low blood sugars.

If you are taking insulin or oral hypoglycemic drugs at night times, please consult your treating diabetologist and try to adjust the dosage, because high dosage will cause hypoglycemia followed by reactive hyperglycemia.

Secondly these incidences when happening in elderly diabetes patients, who have more than five years of past history of disease then you need to check for renal functions, because patient going for early renal impairment will show the same signs you have mentioned below.

Hope these information is helpful for you.

Feel free to ask queries.

Thank you