Skin color getting darker. Stools running light in color. How can this be cured?

My son is 5 yrs old, his skin is progressively getting darker, what could be the underling cause. I know he doesn't eat a lot of vegetables or drink water enough. Also he had a milk allergy from birth. My poo is always running or light in colour, and he has attention problems. I would like a nutritionist to help me out in what changes are needed to help him
Posted Mon, 3 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 30 minutes later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Dark color of the skin is basically because of the melanin pigment.

Exposure to sun increases the pigment. So decreasing the exposure to sun will help. Let him play in the sun more during evenings and early morning hours.

The color of the skin is dependent on genetic factors (parents skin color) and environmental factors like sun exposure.

You should always encourage him to eat a lot of vegetables and fruits. The skin will look brighter and healthy if a person consumes lot of fruits and vegetables and has a healthy diet. Drinking enough water will also help the skin to look better.

There are certain conditions which may cause abnormal skin color and darkening like hemochromatosis, certain endocrine disorders etc. but we do not consider them if the child is otherwise active and does not have any other associated complaints.

Encourage your son to have lots of fruits and vegetables. Discourage junk foods like colas, chips etc.

Continue to ask further queries as required.
Hope this helps.
Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
Associate Professor of Pediatrics.
Follow-up: Skin color getting darker. Stools running light in color. How can this be cured? 9 minutes later
Doctor we are living in London where there is very little sun, secondly both me and my husband are very fair. My second child, my daughter is very fair.

I feel It is related to his digestive tract......can this be so...

Many humble thanks for your time

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 1 hour later

Some body in the family tree could have a darker skin color and your son might have inherited the skin color. This could be one of the reasons for his darker skin color.

Does he have any itching of the skin associated with light colored stool?
Are his eyes yellow in color?
Does he have any other problem other than what you described till now?
Is your son normal for his age (developmentally)

Please reply in detail so that I can help you better.