Six-way CABG done. Unable to walk for stenotic vertebrae. Doing regular exercise. Any suggestion?

I had a six-way CABG in late 2008 and completed rehab in the summer of 2009. My rehab specialists told me to keep my weight between 155 and 160 (I am 73 now, 5'10") and I have kept my weight in that range. Because of a couple of stenotic vertebrae (L4-L5 and L5-S1) I can neither run nor do power walking; I'm limited to recumbent bike and Nu-Step x 5 or 6, plus weight work x3. In the last eight months or so, my waistline has expanded by at least an inch, although I have not gained any weight. I'd like to get rid of the "roll XXXXXXX Any suggestions?
Posted Sun, 17 Feb 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 6 hours later

It is really amazing and inspirational to see people like you.

As you are not able to walk properly and since you are already doing exercises on recumbent bike and strength training, the best would be to change your eating habits to remove some fat from your mid section and reduce your waist line.

Remove high-calorie items from your diet and substitute them with low-calorie items. Your diet should consist mainly of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean meats. Check food labels carefully to ensure the food or beverage you're about to consume is low in calories. Remember that nutritional labels are based on one serving of the item, so you need to measure the amount you consume and do your math accordingly.

Keep doing your strength-training exercises every other day as you are doing and it  can be done with your own body weight, resistance bands, dumbbells, barbells or machines. Break your muscle groups into upper body, core and lower body and work only one group per day. 
I think these measures are enough to keep your waist line and weight in control.

I hope it helps, however you may revert to me for any further query.

Best of luck