Sister cutting herself. Has cut wrist arm. Is it due to anger or depression?

I have a 14 year old granddaughter who I am very worried about. it seem like several months ago she was seen by her 8 year old sister cutting herself. this has not stopped. the cuts have not been serious or needed dr sttention, but im more concerned why she is doing this. she has cut by wrist. arm. and legs. is this anger, a cry for help, defiance,depression, or mental? I just don't know? should she be seen by a doctor immediately? please advise me what to do. Her mom and her go through the normal teanage problems where she doesn't want to clean room ect. but she doesn't go with her mom placws any more and would rather stay home, and sleeps a lot XXXXX
Posted Thu, 12 Sep 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Dear grandmother,

Thank you for your concerns. In the slang terminology, she would be a "cutter", meaning a patient that does self-inflicted injury that is not life threatening. The most common causes are uncontrolled and undiagnosed anxiety or depressive disorder. I believe it is very prudent for her to be seen by a psychiatrist or clinical psychologist to determine if her symptoms can improve; social isolation and excessive sleep point towards more to depression.

Yours truly,

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN