Sinusitis operation done for asthma. Not cured. Now having throat problem. Any effective treatment?

ENT Specialist
Question
i have breathing problem(asthama) since 2009, i have visited XXXXXXX hospital for check up and the they have performed sinusitis operation in 2009, still facing the same problem. along with breathing problem i have throat problem, even i eat anything it stays near my chest. please suggest me best doctor for treatment as well as best medicine for complete cure of asthama because of that i am having digeting the food.
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in Asthma and Allergy

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 14 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. What was the exact reason for your sinus surgery? If you can upload the images of any Sinus CT Scan done before the surgery in 2009 or any clinical and operative notes (discharge card), it will help in understanding why the sinus surgery was done. A post-op or recent CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses) will reveal whether the surgery was adequate.

2. Adult onset Asthma is probably due to occupational or environmental exposure.
Do you have sensitivity to aspirin?

3. GERD (Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease) is very common with Asthma. It leads to symptoms such as the uneasiness that you have in the chest after eating. This may also mean that you have food allergy which may trigger off an an attack of Asthma. Get a consultation from a Gastroenterologist for treating this associated condition.

4. There is no cure for Asthma, however, it may be controlled. You are already on a long acting beta agonist and a steroid.

5. Other treatment options are:
a. Adding an anti-leukotiene agent such as montelukast.
b. Targeted Immunotherapy.
c. Monoclonal Antibodies such as Omalizumab.
d. Bronchial thermoplasty.

6. You may consult a Chest Physician for these newer treatments.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Sinusitis operation done for asthma. Not cured. Now having throat problem. Any effective treatment? 11 hours later
Can you please suggest me best medicine for Asthama as the rota caps which i am using is not sufficient even after having it twice daily. one of the doctors who prescribed me quickhale fb 200 told me that my throat is blocked hence he suggested me to use quick hale. i am using it since 1 year i still have the throat problem with Asthama, sometimes i cant breath with my nose i need to use my mouth to breath where as i get cough. i unable to sleep in the night properly because of breathing problem. so please understand my problem as help me with a medicine atleast i can sleep properly.
if possible please suggest me for a best doctor who is in hyderabad for the problem so that i can XXXXXXX them personally.

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 12 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Get a plain CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses) pre-and post decongestion with Xylometazoline (Otrivin) done. If nasal obstruction is prominent but relieved by the decongestant, Radiofrequency ablation may help reduce the nasal obstruction. Nasal Polyps may require steroid therapy and revision surgery.

2. For guidance, you may contact:
a. Dr. Jaswinder XXXXXXX Saluja. Apollo Hospital, Jubilee Hills, Hyderabad.
b. Dr. K. R. XXXXXXX MAA ENT Institute, Somajiguda, Hyderabad.

Regards.