Sinus surgery done. Experiencing obstruction in nose with breathing difficulty. Any remedy?

ENT Specialist
I had surgery about 2 years ago for a deviated septum and turbinate repair or whatever. I primarily had the surgery as a result of years and years of chronic sinus infections/sinusitis. I really didn't have too much trouble with blockage or obstruction. Since the surgery I haven't had more than one sinus infection, which is a miracle for me. However, in the last few months I have been experiencing some obstruction and difficulty breathing through my left nostril. While no reoccurring infections, there is very clearly a "bump" or lump obstructing the left passage that I can actually feel with my finger. It wakes me up at night because I can't breathe through that side and anything that gets "in the way" of the narrow canal causes difficulty breathing. There is only a sliver of room for air, while on the right it is wide open. It is also loud when I breathe, like I have a stopped up nose. Is there any way I could have a new deviation or that the surgery didn't work? I'm not sure what to think. Thanks!
Posted Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 29 minutes later

Thanks for posting the query

The lump like thing could be either a deviated septum or a polyp.

Seldom, there can be deviation of the septum following surgery due to buckling of the cartilagenous portion of the nasal septum. This happens when the deviated cartilage is not removed adequately during the surgery.

Secondly, there can be development of polyps due to chronic sinusitis which can also lead to nasal obstruction.

It requires a complete examination of the nose to diagnose the actual caue of your problem.

You can either post an image of the lesion or consult a apt ENT specialist for a complete evaluation of the nose.

Hope this answers your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon