Sinus surgery done. Experiencing mucus from nose. Using inhaler for asthma. Is this related to CF?

Recently my wife had Sinus surgery performed to rid her sinus cavity of polyps. She has always had bad allergies and the ENT doctor explained that this surgery would help her. About a month after the surgery she still was experiencing XXXXXXX mucus from her nose. After a few more visits the ENT cultured the strains of bacteria from her nose and came back with these strains:
Pseudomonas Putida (heaviest growth)
Stenotrophomonas maltophilia cystic
Acinetobacter lwoffii
Staphylococcus aureus

The ENT doctor then asked her if she has ever been tested for CF. To her knowledge she never has. She currently takes an inhaler for asthma but her peak flow readings are always better than average. She also has experienced IBS for the majority of her life, which has been accredited to her father's side of the family. She is in excellent health and very active. She battled a bad case of bronchitis a few years ago and visited a pulmonary doctor who diagnosed and corrected the bronchitis. The ENT doctor also explained that the Pseudomonas Putida bacteria is extremely rare and it's possible she could have contracted it from the sinus surgery. She will be going for her sweat test in about a week, what are the chances that these symptoms are not related to CF?
Posted Wed, 29 Aug 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Prasad 4 hours later

Nasal polyp is one of the common symptoms of cystic fibrosis. A small scale study revealed higher incidence of Pseudomonas aeruginosa colonization among cystic fibrosis with nasal polyp. This is a different from what was found in your secretion (P. putida) and I agree with your doctor - you may have got this one with the surgery.

Considering these facts, I would not strongly suspect cystic fibrosis. However if you are born in the US where there are more than 30,000 diagnosed with cystic fibrosis and 1000 more adding each year, I would be glad to rule this out.

As far as to specify chances of cystic fibrosis, there are no large scale studies which are helpful to determine chances. Hence I am unable to predict your chances. But if I were you, I would get the test (sweat test) to confirm my status.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any other enquiries.

Follow-up: Sinus surgery done. Experiencing mucus from nose. Using inhaler for asthma. Is this related to CF? 1 hour later
Thank you so much for your response, I'm praying that the sweat test results will prove your diagnosis!
Answered by Dr. Prasad 41 minutes later
You are welcome.

Let me know if you have further concerns.
If you do not have any more follow ups, please close this discussion. Any feed backs' are appreciated.

P.S: It seems you wrote on behalf of your wife. I apologize for interpreting it wrongly.

To her speedy recovery!!!

Dr. Prasad