Ask a Urologist   »  

Sinus infection, on medication for diabetes, taken biaxin. Causes for blood in urine ?

ENT Specialist
I am a 76 year old male with diabetes, taking a lot of medication. I got a sinus infection and the doctor prescribed biaxin. I just finished it yesterday. Today I saw a few drops of blood before I urinated. That has never happened before.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

The bleeding during urination could be due to either Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), infection of urinary tract or due to the medicine Plavix but not due to sinus infection or Biaxin.

You seem to be suffering with BPH, for which you have already been prescribed with Avodart (dutasteride) which is used to treat enlarged prostate gland. Those patients who are suffering from BPH, will be having minor amounts of blood in the urine due to the pressure induced damage to the surrounding tissues as well as inside the prostate itself.

Also, the other cause could be due to the medicine Plavix (clopidogrel) prescribed to prevent blood clots after cardiac surgeries or a heart attack.

Please do not panic, consult your doctor and get the INR of the blood done as well as consult your urologist for an ultrasound of pelvis, urine examination and urethroscopy if required.

Hope I have answered your query: if you have any further queries you are welcome.