Sinus infection, cough, chest congestion, pain in throat, pink tinged mucus. Treatment ?

Question
sinus infection, gp gave me antibiotics (June ninth) "Amoxicillin 875mg" twice a day 10 days told me to take mucinex and claritin the kind's without suppressant and Decongestant. I have had a really bad cough which he said is to be expected (chest congestion heard on my XXXXXXX breaths not so much on normal) red ear drums, Raw red throat -- fever 99 - 101.5 (fever gone now without use of ibuprofen).

Current problem is that while the cough has been getting better and now almost gone. I have gotten some pink tinged mucus this morning. The material which is clear with some very light yellow in it is very thin - slightly stringy. The pink came only after forcing a very violent coughing on waking to clear slight chest noise (sleeping on back) and cannot be reproduced. Question is since its sunday is this pressing or did i just irritate something. Seems like the need to cough is mostly gone now and my head is largely clear.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 23 minutes later
Hello.

The symptoms seems to be improving well with the medicine prescribed to you.

Though the symptoms are better, but the throat and chest infections needs full course of medicines for complete treatment and to avoid recurrences.

Slight bleeding on violent coughing is a common finding; especially when the mucosa is inflamed. You need not worry or rush to ER for it as it not a serious concern. The slight capillary bleeding due to stress of violent coughing usually subsides on its own without any special treatment. They should be completely gone as your infection subsides.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.