Sinus infection, chest congestion, difficulty breathing, stress. On anxiety, high BP, sleeping medication. Tissue bruising during accident. How to clear chest congestion?

Hi - I am a 48 year old female. I have been suffering from sinus congestion for 3 months and chest congestion for 2 months. My oxygen level is so low that I breathe heavy just by standing up. I am under severe stress and have been for the last 5 years and even more so this year. I was not on any medication prior to that. I am now on 2 antidepressants, 1 anxiety med, 2 HBP meds,and 2 sleeping aids. I was in an accident November 3rd and flipped my SUV. Nothing broken but very XXXXXXX tissue bruising. Is anything related? Also, please tell me how to clear this chest congestion! I have been on antibiotics twice and steroids once. Help me... And, NO, I'm not making any of this up. My life is this bad. LOL Thanks!
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 19 minutes later

The chest and the sinus congestion in your case would most probably be stemming from an allergy. You could be allergic to anything within your house but dust, bed bugs, pollen and foods (most commonly milk, egg, peanut, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, soy, and wheat) are the common culprits.

I would suggest the following interventions:

a. Take steam inhalation at least 2-3 times a day
b. Clean your house thoroughly and change your pillow covers and bed covers every week.
c. Keep the windows closed and monitor the daily pollen count
d. Remove dust mite hideouts such as wall-to-wall carpeting, venetian blinds, down blankets, feather pillows, and closets full of clothing, general clutter, and so-called "dust catchers." In the bedroom, remove items such as upholstered furniture, stuffed animals, carpeting, and draperies.
e. Encase bedding and pillows in zippered, plastic, dust-mite proof encasings.
f. Ask your physician about sodium cromoglycate and inhaled corticosteroids. They will greatly benefit you.

Additionally, the stress and the sleeping medication will be just contributing to the difficulty that you are having while breathing. So just try and relax. You could also try yoga and meditation.

The bruising that you suffered during your accident has nothing to do with your congestion.