Sinus infection. What is your opinion on surgery?

ENT Specialist
I have had bad sinus infection since August. tried several strong antibodies with no help. have had CT scans, a Spinal leak scan, and a MRI. They say the only way to get rid of this is sinus surgery, to drain the infection sacks the MRI and scans show I have. they plan to do Bi lat, Maxillary, Antrostomies will cultuies O, complete Ethmoidectomies. What is your opinion on this surgery?

Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 49 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. Sinusitis lasting for more than six weeks in spite of adequate medical treatment is termed as chronic sinusitis. Antibiotics will not work in fungal infections.

2. You may share your CT and MRI images (not the reports) by e-mail to YYYY@YYYY with 'Attn. Dr. Sumit Bhatti' as the subject line. You also have a feature to upload your reports/pictures yourself on the right side of query page. Please utilize that. This will enable me to provide you with an accurate assessment for further medication or surgical options.

3. If you have been advised a mini-FESS (Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery), it will provide 80-90% relief in cases of Maxillary and Ethmoidal sinusitis.

4. You may also share any detailed clinical examination reports and detailed medication prescriptions for review.

Awaiting your reply to suggest you better.