Sinus histiocytosis,hemosiderosis,oncologist,chemo,radiation.Cancer?

General Surgeon
Question
I was just told this week that I have sinus histiocytosis with hemosiderosis. I am a nurse but have never heard of this disease and want more information. Specifically why does it have to be treated by an oncologist and possibly with chemo and radiation if it is not cancer.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 37 minutes later

Histiocytosis is a conditions characterized by presence of excessive number of histiocytes (tissue macrophages). The term is typically used for a group of rare diseases which share this characteristic. The histiocytes may attack or effect skin, bone, muscles, and many other important organs like liver, lung, spleen, and blood forming or hematopoietic system.

The disease is somewhat similar to cancer, where the immune cells affect multiple body organs. Hence the treatment consists the use of steroids, immunosuppressants, chemotherapy drugs as well as radiotherapy.

Hemosiderosis or haemosiderosis is a form of iron overload disorder resulting in the accumulation of hemosiderin. It can get deposited in the lungs, liver ,pancreas ,brain & even skin,effecting their functions.

When the histiocytosis involves the hematopoietic system it is called as histiocytosis with haemosiderosis .

As disease is cancer like and its treatment requires chemotherapy & radiation, so such cases are handled by the oncologist.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries,

“Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”