Sinus condition, light brown mucus drainage, difficulty breathing. history of GERD, heartburn. Causes of nasal drainage ?

I have had nasal drainage for like 6 months and it continues to drain from my sinuses down my throat. In fact sometimes I get this condition for months at a time. The mucous is sometimes clear, but sometimes it is light brown with small brown specks. I have had some shortness of breath after light exertion I did have GERD and was diagnosed almost a year ago, but have only had three incidents of hearburn in last year. I do smoke, but only about 2-4 per day. What is wrong with me. Last time at doctor in February my blood pressure was 128 over 84.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 6 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will do my best to provide you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

Regarding the symptoms of nasal drainage as well as congestion I really think it is likely that you have a mild to moderate degree of allergies.

Allergy symptoms have a wide range of severity and can range from a mild degree of nasal congestion to disabling headaches as well as a significant degree of overall body fatigue.

There are several over-the-counter preparations or medications which sometimes help. These medications include's your tech or loratadine.

Sometimes it is necessary to prescribe patients prescription medication. These medications are sometimes more powerful and can relieve the symptoms more effectively. Occasionally patients may need steroid therapy. Steroids in the form of a medical prescription can certainly provide a significant degree of relief of inflammation which is a significant part of what goes on in patients with allergy symptoms.

Also there are preparations which are produced in the form of a nasal spray which can make a significant impact on how you might feel. These medications include brand names such as Flonase or Nasonex. You might discuss the possibility of a trial of one of these medications with your doctor.

If you develop symptoms such as a significant headache. You may need to discuss your case with a ear nose and throat specialist. Sometimes it may become necessary to perform imaging of the sinuses. This is most commonly done with a CAT scan.

My last consideration for you is that you take a good long look at the environment at your house and at your place of work to see if there are any things in the environment which might be stimulating and allergic response. This includes a number of things such as pets cats or dogs or some types of plants. Any of these could significantly affect your symptoms as well. Also any increase in dust or pollen may cause you to feel miserable from an allergy standpoint.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert