Sinking heart, restlessness after alcohol, hypertension. Done ECG. Taking ayurvedic medication. Could this be the cause?

Psychiatrist
Question
I feel a sense of heart sinking and restless after consuming alcohol even limited amounts. This has been happening for the past 3 months. The doctor said this could be due to anxiety. I have got an ECG done which is normal. Please advise. I am on ayurvedic tablets for hypertension. Could the ayurvedic tablets be the cause?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 4 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     39 year old female
•     Known case of Hypertension on ayurvedic treatment
•     Complaints of: Heart sinking and restlessness after alcohol use

It is difficult to confirm the cause of above problem. I would like to consider multiple possibilities in following hierarchy:
•     Anxiety reaction to Alcohol for Ayurvedic medicines
•     Vitamin deficiency: Get serum B12 level. Start multi vitamins as they are easily available. Alcohol also known to cause vitamins deficiency.
•     Anxiety disorder: need to be rule out by detailed interview by psychiatrist
•     Side effect of substance use: It may be new onset reaction in your case

If you are well while not taking alcohol then do not worry much about symptoms and stop alcohol use as reaction may be severe in future. Take some multivitamins daily.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.

Wish you good health.