Single umbilical in first pregnancy will it happen again for second pregnancy?

Question
Single umbilical in first pregnancy will it happen again in second pregnancy? Why is SUA happen any medicine to consume? Thanks
Posted Thu, 5 Sep 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Recurrence is very rare; folic acid is useful

Detailed Answer:

Single umbilical artery is a defect that goes unnoticed during the antenatal period many-a-time and is detected only after birth by examining the placenta. In those cases where it has symptoms there are associated defects like cardiovascular, esophageal, facial and abdominal malformations. Chromosomal anomalies are another associated feature. Trisomy 18 or Edwards' syndrome is a genetic abnormality that may be associated with the occurrence of a single umbilical artery.

Before you plan for a second pregnancy, you should ideally wait for at least 6 months and during this period begin using prenatal vitamins like folic acid. You may also get genetic counselling. It is also useful if you can understand the exact cause of fetal demise in the earlier pregnancy as it provides important information on the possibility of recurrences in subsequent pregnancies.

Chances of recurrence of single umbilical artery alone in subsequent pregnancies are very rare, less than 1%. High resolution ultrasound at 12 and 16 weeks are important to detect any anomalies. Regular monitoring is essential throughout pregnancy if recurrence is observed to detect any complications like intrauterine growth restriction.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to contact if you need further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: Single umbilical in first pregnancy will it happen again for second pregnancy? 2 hours later
Ok which type of folic acid is highly recommended? By the way, blood test for genetic, beside this do i need to scan my womb before second pregnancy?

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
5-methyl tetrahydro folate or 5-MTHF

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

It is always better if folate can be had from natural sources like green leafy vegetables, legumes, pasta, liver, fruits and milk products in small amounts. While taking a supplement it would be better to go for preparations containing 5-methyl tetrahydro folate or 5-MTHF.

There is no need to have a prenatal sonogram as the cause of the defect is not due to uterine anomalies or pelvic problems. Once you conceive, you should get anomalies scan done as suggested.

Hope your query is answered. Please get back for further clarifications. I will be ready to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: Single umbilical in first pregnancy will it happen again for second pregnancy? 56 minutes later
Dear Doctor XXXXXXX thanks for your reply. Indeed i were only out from hospital two weeks ago. My pregnancy end up in week 25 and baby weight only 300gms they suspect my baby no longer heart beat in week 22+. First 3 months i went to XXXXXXX scan n my baby develop everything normal but at week 20 only detected baby have cleff pallate and with SUA. I really scare for my second pregnancy will be happening again, thus my concern intake to prevent. Next month only they will take my husband and I blood for genetic test. My concern is Im afraid this not into much details, so i check online, they says best if insert a tiny camera n scan through my vaginal to see any womb/tissue damage. Please suggest is this necessary as my state not so specialist in this method. Do you have suggestion or recommendation over malaysia/singapore to follow up my matter? Thank you

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Prenatal sonogram is not mandatory in your case.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing again.

As I mentioned earlier, you need not have a prenatal sonogram as SUA is not related to pelvic or uterine defects; it is a defect in the formation of the baby and the exact cause is not known; genetic defects are found in some. Yes, you may have a postnatal follow up sonogram if you wish to confirm everything is fine before you plan your next pregnancy. You may also have a complete check up including tubal patency tests if suggested by your doctor.

Please do not worry about the chances of recurrence as they are usually remote; anyhow, you are going to get genetic evaluation done. You may contact the Singapore General Hospital for further evaluation and management. Please consult your specialist for further suggestions.

Hope your query is clarified. Please feel free to get back for further clarifications. I will be ready to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: Single umbilical in first pregnancy will it happen again for second pregnancy? 18 hours later
Dear Doctor, can i order the 5-MTHF from your clinic and your side courier out to
Me? Let me know how can I make the payment? Thank you

Brief Answer:
sorry, facility unavailable

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for you query.

Unfortunately, I am unable to offer you such a provision. You can get the product marketed by Merck in the trade name Metafolin. Neevo and Neevo DHA are the other preparations available. You can also get the necessary information from your health care provider. I am very sorry for not being able to help you.

Wish you good health.

regards,
Shanti.V.