Ask a Urologist   »  

Simple renal cyst, non-obstructing kidney stones, blood in urine

Micro blood in urine :

I am a 60 yr old female. Several yrs ago I was dx'd with 2 renal simple cysts (1 ea kidney) about 9mm each. I went to a well known medical campus close to my home town because the drs in my small town couldn't agree about the cysts being simple or complex. An Assoc Prof of Urology was the one who dx'd them as simple after a couple of CT scans at that facility. There was also found a small non-obstructing stone in my left kidney. This dr & I didn't discuss the stone much as he is a urology cancer specialist & I was at that time much more worried about the cysts.

In my early 20's I did develop 2 renal stones, one I passed without much difficulty; the other with typical horrible pain. My dad had many stones so there is family history concerning stones. Until this stone found on CT a few yrs ago I haven't had another one. I don't know if I ever passed that stone; it was, thankfully asymptomatic.

Last week I had my yearly physical & micro blood was found in the urinalysis. My dr ordered a culture & it is negative for infection. I did have some right flank pain start last night through today, although its not horrible so I have no idea if its just a muscle problem or is related to any stone I might have. My bladder feels a little uncomfortable but I've had no trouble urinating & its not unduly frequent.

My dr. has now ordered a renal US & a referral to a Nephrologist. My questions are: (1) is the US the correct test instead of CT (2) is a Nephrologist the correct specialist vs a Urologist; (3) can simple cysts cause micro blood?

Thank you for any info.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 1 hour later

Your areas of concern are simple cysts, renal stone, pain and the microscopic hematuria.

Simple cysts shall not cause microscopic hematuria. In all probability the renal stone you have had is creating trouble. It is the cause of your pain, slight urinary difficulty and the microscopic hematuria.

It shall be advisable to start yourself on alpha blockers under the care of your physician.

You should see an Urologist rather than Nephrologist and also subject yourself to CT (Computerized Tomography), may be even contrast study, rather than the ultrasound.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.