Simple cortical cyst in kidney. How serious is this cyst?

Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 34 minutes later

Thank you for submitting your query.

Kidney or Renal cysts are round fluid filled pouches that form in kidneys which sometimes may be associated with serious disorders that may prejudice the normal functioning of the kidneys. But given that your USG report mentions it to be a simple cortical cyst, you don't have to dread as they seldom cause complications and they, by and large don't entail treatment.

You are at peril of acquiring them as you get older and I would want you to be wary of symptoms like, fever or severe pain on your lower back or sides as the cyst might get infected because of urine draining into it. You might want to take instant medical assistance in such circumstances.

If it is bothering you now, you can discuss it with an Urologist and get it removed surgically.

Hope this answers your query, Please accept my answer if you have no follow-up queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.
Follow-up: Simple cortical cyst in kidney. How serious is this cyst? 2 days later
In the USG report it has been reported that I have Mild hepatomegaly with Grade 1 fattly liver. So I would like to know the meaning of this Impression and what should I do ???
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 16 hours later

Thank you for writing back.
Fatty liver occurs due to the accumulation of excessive fat in the liver and as such is a common age related finding. However, other risk factors include:
•     Obesity
•     High fat diet, especially diets that are high in saturated fats
•     Lack of exercise
•     High alcohol intake
•     Diabetes
•     Insulin resistance.
I would suggest that these risk factors be taken care of so that the condition does not progress. This condition can progress to a problem called Non alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) which can possibly lead to cirrhosis. As I believe that more information can help a physician help you better, I would request you to answer the following questions:
a.     What is your height and weight?
b.     Do you currently use alcohol? If yes, how much are you consuming in a week?
c.     Have any other blood tests like liver function tests or a lipid profile been done for you? If yes, can you please upload the reports on “Upload your reports” section on the right.
Till then, I would suggest the following
•     Avoid consuming alcohol. You can get more help for the same at WWW.WWWW.WW •     Moderate exercise everyday for about 50 minutes. Moderate exercise includes brisk walking, jogging etc
•     Eat a healthy balanced diet which includes fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Avoid junk food which contain saturated fats and refined sugars
Awaiting your reply.

Good Luck.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.