Sigmoidoscopy normal. Occult blood in stool test showed positive. Endoscopy shows Hiatus Hernia & bile gastritis. Help?

i did a sigmoidoscopy & the Dr told me that he has reached to the transverse & it was normal .
i did a occult blood in stool test & it was positive weak , i did this test 1 month after my sigmoidoscopy , (i ate a meat 2 days prior to the test ) i also did an endoscopy at the same day of the sigmoidoscopy & it shows Hiatus Hernia & bile gastritis . shall i concern about this result .
Now what i am concerning about is that i have positive weak occult blood & my rbc is 0-1 . Shall i concern about .
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for using XXXXXXX

The weakly positive occult blood test coupled with a normal sigmoidoscopy should not raise any fear or concerns. Also, considering your age, 34, it is very unlikely that you have a cancer or other benign tumor of the colon. Main risk factors like age, postive (strongly positive occult blood and Familial Adenomatous polyposis, with your normal sigmoidsocopy are all absent, making possibilities for any serious condition at this point in time very unlikely.

If you have a strong family history of digestive cancer, or recurrent constipation and diarrhea, you might need to do another control some time in a year. If not, I strongly feel you really do not need to bother. Many people have hiatal hernias but never present with any signs of symptoms. Asymptomatic hernias are not a call for concern. It only becomes a problem when it gets really big, severe and starts presenting withchest discomfort, reflux symptoms and gastric and respiratory problems.

For now, I do not think you really need to worry. Remember that there are drugs and substances that could cause false positive results for occult blood in stool, especially Vitamin C containing substances.

Thanks as I wish you good health. It shall be my pleasure making further contributions to your well being if need be. Please, feel very free asking further questions.

Best regards as I wish you good health.

Bain LE, MD.
Follow-up: Sigmoidoscopy normal. Occult blood in stool test showed positive. Endoscopy shows Hiatus Hernia & bile gastritis. Help? 24 minutes later
Thanks a lot Dr Bain
thanks God i don't have a family history with colon cancer but my dad & so i have IBS .
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 11 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the precisions.

With this I think you need really not be bothered now. IBS is not a risk factor for colon cancer. However, before making a diagnosis of IBS, which of course is a diagnosis of exclusion, all organic causes of disease including colon cancer must be screened for and excluded, reason why these tests were prescribed to you. I think you are ok.

Wishing you just the best and no worries for now,

best regards,

Bain LE, MD.