Ask a Urologist   »  

Side hurt while running and noticed blood in urine. Should I go for medical check up?

my wife ran in a "mud run" this weekend...tonight she tells me she hurt her side during the run, and has been peeing blood since at least sunday morning. when i asked how much blood, she says it looks like blood when she pees. i told her to go to the eergecy room, but sh doesn't want!?
Posted Sun, 2 Sep 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Blood in the urine can come from any condition that results in infection, inflammation, or injury to the urinary system.
Typically, microscopic hematuria indicates damage to the upper urinary tract (kidneys), while visible blood indicates damage to the lower tract (ureters, bladder, or urethra). But this is not always the case.
The most common causes in people younger than 40 years of age are kidney stones or urinary tract infections.
She needs to consult a urologist for investigation like-
1.Ultrasound abdomen and pelvis.
2.Urine routine and cultures with antibiotic sensitivity.
3 Cbc, Renal profile etc
A proper antibiotic treatment and urine alkalizer are needed after the investigations.
Ask her to start taking plenty of fluids and fresh cranberry juice fro symptomatic relief.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.