Side effects of nasal sprays like Flomist after taking for prolonged time?

ENT Specialist
Question
Are there any side effects of Nasal sprays like flomist after taking it for a prolonged time. Is there any recommended dosage? i have been using it for quite a while however the condition hasn't improved. It just gives me temporary relief. My nasal tissues have been swolen and i sneeze in the morning (and sometimes through out the day when the situation has worsen). Also i face blocked nose throughout the day and night. Atleast one side of the nose is always blocked. Hence i use this spray as prescribed by one doc earlier. I am doing Neti also. Will it help. Please suggest me for a permanent solution.
Posted Wed, 12 Sep 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 3 hours later

Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for posting the query

Q: Are there any side effects of Nasal sprays like flomist after taking it for a prolonged time?
A: Yes, there are certain side effects like dry mucosa, nasal bleed and fungal sinusitis when used for prolonged periods, but they are almost negligible.

Q: Is there any recommended dosage?
A: Yes, you need to use 2 puffs a day in the morning once you wake up from the bed and it has to be used continuously for a year or two depending upon the symptoms. Later on, it can be reduced to 1 puff a day.

Q: i have been using it for quite a while however the condition hasn't improved. It just gives me temporary relief.
A: There are few other things which you need to know:
1. There is no cure for allergy, only certain preventive measures if followed can get rid of you from allergy.
2. If anatomical and osteomeatal complex block is present in the nose, then it has to be corrected surgically, unless the block is removed you will not be alright with any of these medicines.
3. Along with the steroid nasal spray you should also use an antihistaminic such as fexofenadine/loratidine for control of allergic episodes.

Q: My nasal tissues have been swolen and i sneeze in the morning (and sometimes through out the day when the situation has worsen).
A: This is the reason, why I recommended the use of steroid nasal spray in the morning.

Q: I am doing Neti also. Will it help.
A: You can definitely use neti pot it will help in reducing the sinus congestion and easy clearance of the mucus.

Q: Please suggest me for a permanent solution
A: As mentioned before there is no cure for allergy; avoid those things which will induce allergy and you will be fine. Also, consult a good ENT specialist for a thorough check up and treatment.

My suggestions are:
1. Drink plenty of warm water during the times of nasal congestion.
2. Use saline nasal spray (3-4 times a day) along with steroid nasal spray (once a day) to reduce the nasal stuffiness and to keep the nasal mucosa moist.
3. Steam inhalation to open up the sinus blockage.
4. An antihistaminic such as Fexofenadine to control the allergy.
5. Pseudoephedrine to reduce the nasal congestion.
6. Avoid sleeping directly in front of the A/C blower or under the fan.
7. Change the pillow cover every night before going to bed.
8. When exposed to dust or smoke cover your nose with a clean handkerchief.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgery