Side effects of coumadin, amiodorone, pravastatin, carvedilol, terazosin, diovan, aspirin, hearing loss

ENT Specialist
Can Medications Cause Hearing Loss
Hi, I am taking several drugs for a heart condition (Coumadin, Amiodorone, Pravastatin, Carvedilol, Terazosin, Diovan, Aspirin). Is it possible that heart drugs can cause hearing loss? If so - is the hearing loss permanent?

Thanks for your help. XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

Yes, certain drugs taken can cause hearing loss. The hearing loss can be either temporary or permanent depending on the type of drug used.

In the list of the drugs mentioned by you, aspirin is one of the medications which have got the potency to cause hearing loss. Toxic effects appear to be dose related and are almost always reversible once medications are discontinued.

There are various other drugs which can also cause the hearing loss such as aminoglycoside antibiotics used to treat infections, pain killers such as Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, diuretics - used for renal conditions and increase in blood pressure, chemotherapeutic agents - used to treat cancer, etc.

It would be better to get an ENT check-up and pure tone audiometry done to find out the actual cause of the hearing loss and an early intervention if required.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon