Side effect of taking high dose of cardizem er, metoprol, lisinopril hctz and ativan?

Question
Can you tell me what would happen if someone took 8000 mgs of cardizem er 500 mgs of metoprol succ 400 mgs of lisinopril hctz and 50. Mgs of ativan I have a concern of a friend
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 24 hours later

The medications you mentioned are ones used in treating cardiac problems.
The overdose of the above drugs in combination leads to serious cardiac complications like rhythm disturbance, serious drop in blood pressure and altered sensorium.

He has to be attended by Emergency medicine specialist in the ER. The survival and prognosis of the patient depend on the vital parameters which have to be continuously monitored.

Extensive treatment nullifying the effect or the drugs he consumed is what will be done in the management. Failure to monitor the vitals and lack of timely intervention can lead to life threatening circulatory collapse.

Hope, I answered your query.

Follow-up: Side effect of taking high dose of cardizem er, metoprol, lisinopril hctz and ativan? 23 minutes later
Would this be a painful process? What would happen if he didn't seek medical treatment...what would one feel like would they be likely to die?is one drug more fatal than another? Please reply as soon as you can

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 8 minutes later

No, it may not be a painful process. Loss of consciousness precedes all other symptoms.

It could be life threatening if do not seek medical attention.

As I mentioned loss of consciousness would be the first symptom. May be the person will have a gastric distress initially.

In doses you mentioned yes, the drugs can be fatal.

Hope I answered your queries.

Follow-up: Side effect of taking high dose of cardizem er, metoprol, lisinopril hctz and ativan? 7 minutes later
How long would it take to go unconscious do you think? Would there be breathing discomfort would they fall asleep and just not wake up if they didn't get help

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 10 minutes later

The time needed for him to go unconscious cannot be determined. Its subjective.

Yes, there may be breathing difficulty then become drowsy later loose consciousness if they are not helped.

Follow-up: Side effect of taking high dose of cardizem er, metoprol, lisinopril hctz and ativan? 15 minutes later
Would this be painful do you think one might die quickly

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 11 minutes later

Yes, it can be painful. As symptoms of such a overdose can be subjective. Loss of consciousness would a definite outcome. Delay in treatment leading to death is subjective as I mentioned above.

Continuous monitoring since the time of ingestion can help to determine such facts.

Follow-up: Side effect of taking high dose of cardizem er, metoprol, lisinopril hctz and ativan? 22 hours later
What kind of pain would one experience how likely would this be fatal

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 40 minutes later

Though rare over dose of the medications mentioned above can lead to ischemia in the heart muscle due to arrhythmia and hypotension leading to pain seen in myocardial infarction (heart attack).

This would be more fatal compared to the primary effect of the over dosage (arrhythmia and hypotension).

Follow-up: Side effect of taking high dose of cardizem er, metoprol, lisinopril hctz and ativan? 38 minutes later
Not sure I understand so this would not likely be fatal

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later

I meant the mortality is more if the person develops ischemia of the heart.

The over dose of the medications above can be fatal due to the effects caused by the medications.