Side effect of metoprolol, hives, food sensitivity

Cardiologist, Interventional
Stopping Metoprolol
I've been taking 25 mg of metoprolo a day (1/2 pill twice daily) just for some minor issues with PVCs. After several months I got hives and some food sensitivity that is evidently a side effect, so I decided to stop.

My cardiologist seemed to think this is a low enough dose that I could just stop cold if I wanted to, but I thought I'd see what folks thought, if I should taper off.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 7 hours later

First of all I would say yes you can stop cold XXXXXXX We need not taper the dose.

But coming back few issues I need to understand,

1) Why were you started on it? Was it because you have palpitation or some other symptom or was it just because there was Ventricular Premature Contractions (VPC) on ECG? - Because, if it was for symptoms, than there is small possibility of recurrence.

2) Is there any problem of high blood pressure (hypertension)? - In that case we need to start you on alternate Blood Pressure medications.

3) "A food sensitivity occurring months later" - is it really a side effect?
This question is not very relevant for your stopping of beta blockers but can have implication on the treatment if the sensitivity and hives do not subside after stopping.

Any way, you can stop the medication without tapering.

Hope this answers your query. Please do get back to me with the information. I would be able to give you more information on this subject.

Wish you good health.