Sickness in stomach, coughed blood. After taking mavik for BP. Why is it happening again and again?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
last night I felt a little sick to my stomach and coughed up a little blood, today was fine, then tonite the same thing again. whats wrong? this happenend both times right after I took mavik bp med
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 3 hours later
Hi there.

Do you have fever, upper abdominal pain, loose stools ?

Any symptoms of acid reflux, metallic taste in mouth ?

Was the blood bright red or dark brown in color ?

The medicines you are taking can all cause side effect of nausea, vomiting. If these medicines are taken on empty stomach, they can destroy the stomach lining and cause blood in vomit or blood may also sometimes be coughed up.

Mavik drug can also cause nausea but has no specific cause for bleeding in vomit or sputum.

You may avoid taking medication on empty stomach. Avoid spicy or oily food. Drink 1-2 litres of water a day. Drink cold milk at night before sleeping as this will reduce symptoms of gastritis if present. Gastritis and peptic ulcer can cause blood in vomit which appear like ground coffee.

Patients with COPD can also cough up blood. It can occur due to damage to the respiratory tract. In this case, the blood coughed up is bright red in color. Also there may be associated shortness of breath. Avoid exposure to pollution, smoke, dust. Avoid smoking at all costs. You can take Tablet Etamsylate to arrest mild bleeding from respiratory, but only under medical supervision.

Do get a consult with your Pulmonologist as well to make sure the bleeding isn't from a large source.

Kindly do respond to my queries.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing speedy recovery.