Sick in the stomach. Why am I lethargic and tired?

been sick in the stomach for over a week and really tired and lathargic
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
A persistent for over a week is likely to be due to bacterial or viral gut infection. This might be aggravated by anxiety and irritable bowel.
Such bowel disturbances often cause fluid and electrolyte imbalance in the body causing a feeling of lethargy and tiredness.
However very often infection is due to Rotavirus which normally clears up on its own.

Do take a bland diet, with no milk, black tea with lemon, and yogurt with rice and ripe bananas for a couple of days. Drink plenty of fluids and electrolyte XXXXXXX sports drinks to avoid dehydration.

Get your stool examined and if it indicates infection or you are not better in two days, see your doctor for a course of antibiotics. You can meanwhile take Lomotil twice a day along with the diet I have suggested.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.