Sick in stomach, normally have high blood pressure. Diagnosed with low blood pressure. What it indicates?

My husband's blood pressure is normally high. Yesterday he felt sick at stomach. We took him to hospital and his blood pressure had bottomed out 103/50. What could cause this to happen.
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 31 minutes later
Hello and thank you for sending the question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information.

In a patient who normally has high blood pressure if there is a significant change or drop in the blood pressure in addition to the symptoms which you have described it could indicate some type of infection.

Sometimes when the body fights infections it can cause a drop in the blood pressure. This also can happen if the body is under a significant amount of stress.

I suspect that if the doctors were able to find the underlying cause of his symptoms and provide appropriate treatment his blood pressure would recover back to a normal range.

Sometimes when patients are very sick we often discontinued their blood pressure medications while they are hospitalized and then we start the medications when patients recover from illnesses.

Thanks again for sending a question. Please let me know if you have any additional concerns.

Dr. Galamaga