Showed 2 mm opacities in upper lung. Blood, urine and sputum tests normal. History of allergic asthma. Coughing dark brown sputum. Prognosis?

Question
3 weeks back my x XXXXXXX showed 2 mm opacities in the right upper lung, blood, urine and sputum tests were normal. have a history of allergic asthama. was given a course of 2 weeks antibiotics. while having these started coughing dark brown sputum. Now the sputum has become light brown and the x XXXXXXX shows one opacity only much reduced in size. What is the prognosis
Posted Sun, 18 Aug 2013 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 2 hours later

It is a good sign that the Xray shows improvement over these 3 weeks with the course of antibiotic. It is very important to stay indoors and protect from allergens and germs during this resolution period.

I would also be interested to know how are you feeling now? Is the cough getting better? Leave about the color of the sputum. Tell me about the quantity of the sputum, is it reduced?

Follow-up: Showed 2 mm opacities in upper lung. Blood, urine and sputum tests normal. History of allergic asthma. Coughing dark brown sputum. Prognosis? 50 minutes later
sometimes... varies, cough comes in bouts.... at the start is less then more and once the airway is clear remains ok for hours together.

doctors still suspect TB or cancer, should I go in for a complete check up after the dose of antibiotics are over.

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 30 minutes later
Yes you should see a Pulmonologist soon. There is a way to diagnose and treat the asthma and complications. You need a lot of education once the diagnosis is confirmed.

It is also essential to undergo health check once in a year including Mantoux, sputum for microscopy and spirometry / PEFR (peak expiratory flow rate).