Shoulder pain, neck swollen, finger swollen, headache, red palm. Taken Panadol. History of stomach pain. What should I do?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Hi , I m 31 years old and I have pain in my left shoulder, the neck area is swollen and my ring finger and palm r also swollen , and left side headache also , I can't pick up any thing,, my palm looks more red than right hand, visited GP but give me only pain killer (Panadol) , pls give me advise what should I do for relieving this pain?
In my medical history 2 month ago I have cold, stomach pain and doctor said may be it related to gallbladder,done ultrasound, HIDA scan and MRI all normal, now stomach pain gone, I take pariet 20 mg,,
Posted Sat, 7 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Yes, I understand your concern as a vigilant and health conscious individual .
Visible pain and swelling with erythema of left upper limb could most probably be due to an underlying vascular injury and resultant neuropathy .
There could be other causes like minor musculoskeletal trauma , infection or abscess etc but nothing can be said conclusively without a thorough clinical evaluation including physical examination and tests like X-ray , doppler ultrasound or MRI spine.
Assuming your GP has ruled out any significant cause and attributed it to just musculoskeletal pain , the treatment with analgesic like Panadol seems appropriate .
But if the pain and swelling are not relieved even after taking the appropriate precribed dosage for 24 hrs then you should get yourself reevaluated . The doctor might prescribe stronger antinflammatory analgesics like ibuprofen and diclofenac and if required get an ultrasound or MRI done to rule out any vascular pathology.
So as of now if you have been taking Panadol for less than last 24 hrs then you might wait and watch for improvement of response but if there is absolutely no improvement then it's best to consult your doctor or a surgeon ( preferable) to confirm the diagnosis and start appropriate management .
I do not think that your past stomach infection might be related to it and even if the mentioned tests are normal they may not have any bearing on the present diagnosis .
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.