Shoulder pain, frozen shoulder, breathlessness. What should be done?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have severe pain in my left shoulder,sometimes the front and othertimes like now, the back,right behind my shoulder blade,it also travels down my arm but never below the elbow,sometimes it is so bad it takes my breath away!
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later

Severe pain in the shoulder without any history of trauma is most likely to be due to frozen shoulder.

Frozen shoulder at your age is most commonly associated with diabetes. You need to get your blood glucose levels checked.

Treatment options include hot fomentation, pain killers, muscle relaxants like thiocolchicoside and physiotherapy to regain the full range of movement of your shoulder joint.

You can start with tablet Ibuprofen 400mg, one tablet after breakfast and dinner for three days. Hot fomentation and local analgesic gels will also help in relieving the pain.

Consult your orthopedician under whose guidance you may plan the investigations like X-ray and MRI of shoulder joint to confirm the diagnosis and for proper treatment.

The other causes like chest pain also need to be ruled out after proper examination and tests like heart muscle enzyme levels and ECG at your age.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.