Shoulder and arm painful during night. Have mild hypertension controlled by bendroflumethiazide. Cause for pain?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My right shoulder and upper arm become painful during the night, particularly if I sleep on my right side. Usually the pain disappears rapidly in the morning. Recently. however, i've had pain when raising my right arm in the morning and a jarring pain has sometimes persisted all day in my arm, with the corner of the shoulder sensitive when pressed.
Grateful for any diagnosis/treatment suggestions.
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
History is suggestive of Adhesive capsulitis.

Detailed Answer:

Although it isn't possible to diagnose your condition without an examination and a few tests, your history is suggestive of Adhesive capsulitis(Frozen shoulder) or Calcific tendonitis.

These conditions are easily managed by regular physiotherapy ( Range of motion exercices,stretching and strengthening exercises). Over-the-counter pain relievers, such as aspirin and ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), can help reduce pain and inflammation associated with this condition.

I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician nearby for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. Your doctor after diagnosing the condition might refer to you a physical therapist.A physical therapist can teach you stretching exercises to help maintain as much mobility in your shoulder as possible.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and informative and I will be glad to answer any further query.