Ask a Urologist   »  

Should we see a doctor if my daughter has blood in her urine?

General Surgeon
My daughter who is 11 has bloody tinged urnine. She feels like she needs to urinate often and as soon as she needs to go she feels she has to go again. She has no fever and seems to feel fine. I need to know if we can make an appointment Monday morning as we live 70 miles from an urgent care facility or hospital and tomorrow is Sunday.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 26 minutes later

11 year girl with history of increased frequency of urination ,with blood tinged urine suggests some kind of infection of urinary system (UTI).

As she don`t have any fever & feels fine .

You can make appointment for Monday morning ,till that time give her plenty of liquids to dilute infection and she may get some relief also. However see the urgent clinic in case of following events
1) Abdominal pain
2) Onset of fever
3) Cola colored urine

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Should we see a doctor if my daughter has blood in her urine? 1 hour later
She recently went to the bathroom and there was a little bit of clotting or clumps of blood this time. We thought it was possible it was the onset of her menstrual cycle except for the urgency to urinate she describes and the feeling of needing to go as soon as she has gone and that it only happends when she urinates. She has now gone to sleep as it is 11:00 our time. I was thinking I should check on her a few times during the night as I am not sure what to think of the clumps. What you have said so far makes a great deal of sense; thank you for your answer. She did drink water and we gave her some yogurt. We will try to wait it out until Monday but may update you if something else changes.
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 8 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

Possibility of onset of menstruation (menarche) at the age of 11 years can`t be ruled out completely. So you can check her under garments as menstruation blood will flow even if she is sleeping or standing or playing .

Blood staining of under garments mostly occurs during menstruation, not in case of hematuria. Possibility of onset of menstruation along with UTI can not be ruled out. So you have to be alert to differentiate between onset of menstruation or hematuria. Plenty of liquids along with yogurt will give her some relief. On Monday you can get her evaluated .

Hope I have answered your query.

Wish you a Good Health.