Should the medication for thyroid problem be safe in order to concieve?

Hello Doctor,
I am Gayathri, female, 29 years old, height=5.5 ft, weight=75kg,married,having 1 child 5 years old, from tamil nadu, India, I am taking "thyrox" pills 150 mg, for past 5 years, Just now I got thyroid results from thyrocare (My Result is available ONLINE WWW.WWWW.WW LABCODE=0000, BARCODE=C0000), the values are TSH=0.07 uIU/ml, FT3=3.10 pg/ml, FT4= 1.51 ng/dl , Doctor.. please give me the answer for the following queries and give prescription.
1)are the above values normal?
2) Now My body condition is very normal,but irregular periods, 1 period takes 2 months long.
3)is this hyper or hypo thyroidism?
4)what is restricted food items and diets for thyroid
5) may I continue the 100+50 mg pills or reduce?
6) this may cause any problem for second baby conception.
(I am not pregnent now)
Thank you Doctor..
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 29 minutes later

1)     The above values are not normal. TSH is markedly suppressed. The TSH needs to be between 1-2 uIU/ ml.

2)     The irregular periods might be due to slightly high dose of Throx being used and with the lowering of dose, the periods hopefully should return to normal.

3)     In view of the suppressed TSH, this is going towards hyperthyroidism. It is not full blown but going towards hyperthyroidism.

4)     Regarding the diet, avoid taking foods that contain goitrogens which are naturally-occurring substances that can interfere with function of the thyroid gland. These include soybean-related foods and cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, mustard, rutabagas, kohlrabi, and turnips). In addition, peaches, strawberries and millet also contain goitrogens. Hence these should be avoided.

5)     You should reduce the dose by 25 micrograms after consulting your physician.

6)     Yes if thyroid is not properly controlled, this may lead to fertility problems. Hence get it properly managed after consulting your physician.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Hope it helps you. Regards.