Should sodium be used during vitiligo treatment?

Hi doctor,
I am taking treatment for virtiligo and just now started.I was using medication for epilipsy from last 10 years
Epilipsy drugs:Enchorate chorno(200mg),FEFOL z.
I came to know that sodium can not use during virtiligo tretament.
Usally Enchorate chorno contains sodium valporate percenatage.
Please comment on this.
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Pigmentation Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 55 minutes later
Hello Praneeth,

Vitiligo is a pigmentation disorder in which melanocytes (the cells that make pigment) in the skin are destroyed and the exact cause is not known but it has been proposed that it is related to an autoimmune disease in which immune system reacts against the body's own organs or tissues.

Sodium is not associated with worsening of the condition and there is no interaction of sodium in sodium valproate with this medical condition. In fact one of the treatment options of vitiligo is pseudocatalase cream which contains calcium chloride, manganese chloride, sodium bicarbonate, and distilled water in a cream base.

Research has shown (as published in pubmed) that this cream is one of the treatment options of vitiligo when used with calcium and short-term UVB light exposure.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.