Should my eye be bleeding after injury?

i hit my head above my eyebrow and now the inside corner near my nose of my eye is bloody looking instead of white like it should be
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 31 minutes later
Hi and thanks for your query.

Let me provide you with some information and reassurance here regarding your query. I'm sorry to hear you suffered some trauma recently. Depending on the velocity of the trauma and location, certain types of head trauma can cause what we refer to as a conjunctival hemorrhage. This is basically a small amount of bleeding which occurs due to injury of capillary blood vessels near or in the area of the eye. A tiny leaking capillary likely created the redness you are seeing inside the eye. Depending on the time this trauma occurred the area may expand a bit more to involve more of the white part of your eye. Let me reassure you that this will resolve but will take a number of days - usually one to two weeks.

If you have discomfort associated with this, I suggest you use some warm compresses over your closed eye for 10 minutes - 3 or 4 times per day. Also, if you take aspirin or ibuprofen regularly, this can sometimes cause a the period of healing to be a bit longer than average.

I hope this answer has been informative and adequate for you. Should you have additional concerns regarding this, I am available to address them.

Dr. Galamaga