Should i go for IVF with three follicles ?

Hi, may I answer your health queries right now ? I have 3 follicles measuring 17x14, 13x12 and 12x8 on the 10th day of my cycle, I am scheduled for IVF do you think it is good enough
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 40 minutes later
Hi Sumathi,

Yes there are good enough. In fact, three follicles can be taken. One can be used and remaining two can be stored.

I believe that you have been given drugs to stimulate Ovulation. Normally one one follicle grows on any one side during each cycle.The stimulation phase of the cycle lasts on average 10 days, but can vary from 8 to 12 days.

The size of the follicle correlates with the maturity of the egg. The larger the follicle, the nearer the egg to being ripe and ready for harvest (a procedure referred to as follicle aspiration, or retrieval).

The egg within a follicle is usually mature – and ready for harvest- when the follicle measures between 16 and 20 millimeters. The growth is about 2 mm per day.

Although there are always exceptions, general guidelines for determining the appropriate time for retrieval are: there are at least 2 follicles 18mm or greater in size, half or more of all the follicles are at least 15mml.

I hope my answer has been adequate and informative. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.