Should i give paracetamol and fricium for fits during fever?

General Surgeon
My daughter is 21 months old . Last year she had fever and she got fits during fever of course when waiting for a doctor.The doctor adviced to take paracetmol 5 ml and precium 5 mg ( single dose). she has been ok till yesterday. Again yesterday morning she got fever fits.Please let me know why she is getting fits at the time of fever.What precautions we can take not get the fits during fever. the doctor has adviced to take peracetamol and fricium 5 mg during fever.please iform me whether this treatment correct
Posted Mon, 17 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: It's due to febrile convulsions Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Some of the children between 1 to 4 years of age develop abnormal movements (Generalised tonic clonic convulsions that is fits) during episode of fever from any cause . It's known as Febrile Convulsion . There is usually no pathology/problem in the brain, it basically occurs due to hyper excitable brain during fever. Your doctor has rightly given the prescription. The aim of treatment is to prevent seizures by preventing rise in temperature. The rise in temperature is prevented by giving antipyretic like Paracetamol at the onset of fever. Frecium is an anticonvulsant to prevent seizure. I usually manage in the following way 1. I Instruct the parents to give Paracetamol suppository through the rectum whenever the parents feel the child is going to have fever or starts having fever . Sooner it is given better it is. Rectal route is preferable as the absorption is rapid compared to being given orally. 2. To initiate whole body tepid sponge 15 minutes after giving Paracetamol. Use normal tap water at room temperature. Please do not use ice cold water. It rapidly brings down temperature. The aim is to prevent high rise in temperature so that fits are prevented. If this schedule is religiously followed , fits will be prevented and usually as the age increases the risk of fits decreases. Rest be assured there is no cause of concern. Follow your Pediatrician advice. Take care Wishing you and your family a happy and healthy life. Best regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Pediatric Surgeon