Should i get tested for HIV inspite of having protected sex?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Hi, i had protected sex with a thai prostitute 10 days back. I did some fingering and touched her boobs with the fingers and then licked her boobs.i have a burning sesnation in my penis sometimes and a little itching around my groin. I wanted to know if i should get tested for hiv?
Posted Mon, 24 Mar 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Praveen G 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes, only to remove the anxiety Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to Healthcare Magic, I have gone through your history and understand your concern, as you had protected sex with the prostitute chance of getting HIV will not be there. If you have any abrasions on the finger and inserting same finger in vagina of HIV positive female, chance of getting HIV will be there,but it is extremely unlikely.HIV is in blood and vaginal fluids, so theoretically it could pass from the vagina into a cut, but again it's unlikely. There has been no reported case of HIV transmission by fingering and hand to genital contact. Regarding touching the boobs with the same fingers used for fingering and liking the boobs, the HIV virus is very sensitive to oxygen as soon as it comes into contact of external air it will be destroyed and HIV virus can not survive for a second outside the body, so chance of getting HIV by this way is not possible. The symptoms of burning sensation in penis and itching around anus is may be due to other infections which should be evaluated by physical examination and lab investigations. I would suggest you to undergo HIV testing, only because if you have any cuts or abrasions on the fingers used for fingering and if the prostitute is HIV positive, it helps to confirm the HIV status and remove the anxiety associated with HIV. Hope I have cleared all your doubts, if you have any further query feel free to post them. Thank you.
Follow-up: Should i get tested for HIV inspite of having protected sex? 22 hours later
What tests should i undergo and in what time period?
Answered by Dr. Praveen G 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: CMIA test Detailed Answer: Hello, Chemiluminiscent Microparticle Immunoassay (CMIA) test can done to detect P24 antigen of HIV and antibodies to HIV 1/2. P 24 antigen test which is useful in the immediate short term i.e. 2-4 weeks after infection and HIV 1/2 test after 90 days of possible exposure. I Hope your results will be negative for HIV infection, as the possibility of HIV infection in your condition is very very remote. Still if you have any query, feel free to ask. Thank you.