Should i be concerned with increased additional oxygen of my son suffering from pneumonia?

hello dr. my 40 days old son had bocked bise and wheezing sounds in chest.. when brought to hospital was diagnosed in critical condition of pneumonia.. and was put on oxygen (2.5 l) then after quite improvement dr. said it was broncholitis... and from last 3days he is ok but dependent on oxygen .. my point of worry is that he improved in initial 3 days and oxygen requirement came down to 0.5l but now from last 3 days he is.continuing on same oxygen .. please suggest e is it Normal or an issue to worry ? note: earlier he was given livolin in nebulizer. but now from last night they started budecort after every 8 hrs.
Posted Thu, 13 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: It is normal. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for the query. In view of details he looks on coarse of recovery.It is maintenance dose of oxygen is he is on and it will take some time for him to recover to be independent of additional oxygen. Initially treatment in pneumonia is directed towards clearing infection and then stabilising the patient till completely recovery .His initial recovery suggests that most infection might have cleared now.I dont see any reason to be overly worried about anything. Budecort will help reduce airway inflammation and help in easier breathing. Hope this helps.Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.