Should i be concerned over the tingling feeling on my arms inspite of having type2 diabetes?

I am 61 years old and a type 2 diabetic. I woke up this moring at 2am and my right arms was tingling like when you sleep on it wrong but than goes away in a few minutes. Wellmine hasn't gone away and its been over 6 hrs. It has reduces some and its now just in my two smaller fingers. Anything to worry about?
Posted Tue, 11 Mar 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Not of immediate concern, but should be addressed Detailed Answer: Hello sir and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. Well I am sure your doctor must have explained to you, but if he/she hasn't then I would like to inform you that diabetes has a long-term effect called diabetic neuropathy. In this, the blood vessels are damaged due to either currently uncontrolled blood sugar levels for quite some time or due to previously uncontrolled blood sugar levels for quite some time. So I would not really say that this is something of immediate concern, but I should inform you that diabetic neuropathy can greatly restrict blood flow to the peripheries resulting in serious complications in the long-run like gangrene, ulceration, etc. I would recommend you to revisit your treating doctor and get your blood glycemic profile checked upon and if your blood sugar levels are uncontrolled, then steps should be taken to bring it under control. And either way I would advise you to request your doctor to initiate vitamin B complex supplements which should help promote the health of your blood vessels. These are usually vitamin B1, B6 and B12. I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you sir. Best wishes.