Should i be concerned about smelling like ammonia while breathing inspite of history of SVT and MVP?

I am a 53 year old female with a history of SVT and MVP and PVC's and PAC's. I have been on tenormin since age 23. I have my yearly echo. Last year when I would go to the walking track and walk about two to three miles, afterwards when I would stop I would smell ammonia like smell when I would breathe. It only happens whenever I walk on the treadmill or outside walking after I stop. I have looked it up on the internet and it mentions signs of kidney failure and diabetes and something about not eating enough protein and it taking it out of the muscle when you walk. I asked my dr about it, but they just kind of ignored me. Being that this is something that never has happened until last year and still doing is as of today, I figure there is some reason as to why this is happening. Can you please tell me what I need to do and should I be concerned?
Posted Fri, 28 Mar 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Following causes to ammonia smelling... Detailed Answer: Hi, I have gone through your query and understood your concerns. Smelling like ammonia when breathing does not necessarily mean that you should have serious problems like kidney failure or diabetes. In fact, there are many causes to such smelling feeling, including: - bad teeth or other oral issues (infection) - gastric problems (reflux) With regards to kidney failure, it could be true only if you have been suffering from kidney problems for long time. As your doctor is having your full medical records, he/she knows that you are not dealing with such problems. I suggest to discuss with your doctor to run further tests that can assure you do not have such problems: - fasting blood glucose, HbA1C test - abdominal ultrasound - kidney/liver function tests - complete blood profile If everything is ok, then, there is nothing you should be worried about. I advise to keep following up with your doctor for the cardiac issues you are having and to keep as fit as you are doing now. I also advise to drink more water especially after walking to avoid dehydration. Keeping a good oral hygiene is highly recommended. Hope it was of help! Dr.Albana
Follow-up: Should i be concerned about smelling like ammonia while breathing inspite of history of SVT and MVP? 43 minutes later
I just had a complete blood work done not all that long ago. As far as my oral hygiene, it is fine. The smell isn't coming from my mouth, it is when I breathe in air after working out or walking and I am hot or just breathing hard. It comes thru my nose as I breathe, not like something is in the air. It is like it is inside my nose.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 15 hours later
Brief Answer: Recommended to consult ENT specialist... Detailed Answer: Hi, If this is your case, then, I suggest to consult an ENT specialist to rule out problems related to : - sinuses - nose - throat I also suggest to keep a good hygiene of your nostrils. Dr.Albana