Should i be concerned about signs of bleeding after having hysterectomy?

Mar 2013
I am a 66 year old female who has had a hysterectomy but still have my ovaries about a month ago I showed signs of bleeding for only a night. Then tonight I found the same thing. When wiping I show blood on the toilet paper. Should I be concerned?
Posted Tue, 11 Mar 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Yes, any kind of bleeding after a hysterectomy should be investigated. There is no reason for panic , though. The most common reason for such spotting is - atrophic vaginitis. This is dryness and friability of the vaginal tissues due to local hormonal ( estrogen ) deficiency. The tissues are fragile and prone to breakage and spotting. Another reason could be a mild erosion / growth / polyp on the cervix. Please have a gynaecological evaluation scheduled - internal exam ( per vaginum and per speculum ), also a Pap smear and pelvic ultrasound scan. All the best. Please feel free to discuss further.
Follow-up: Should i be concerned about signs of bleeding after having hysterectomy? 1 minute later
Thank you for your response. I sure hope the C word will not be heard in my evaluation.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thank you for the appreciation. I sure hope so too. However, the likelihood of malignancy is very low, the possibility of the other conditions occurring is far higher. So dont worry. However, the evaluation is mandatory, just so you can be totally relaxed. Take care. Looking forward to hearing from you.