Should i be concerned about noticing a lot of mucus in the stool and a change in the stool shape?

my question concerns a change in my bowel habits; I've always been extremely regular, having one healthy BM a day; about 3 weeks ago, I started noticing a lot of mucus in the stool and a change in the stool shape itself to little pieces. Also an odor that is completely different to what for me is normal. Every so often, I have a completely normal movement. Also, on occasion there is a discharge from the anus - not fecal matter, but a substance that resembles that which is produced by a yeast infection. There is also a great urgency to have a BM RIGHT NOW! I have about 8 or 9 a day. My doctor has sent me for tests, which I have done, but will have no results until the end of this coming week. This is debilitating as I live a busy life and I am very nervous riding public transit or being anywhere where there is no immediate access to a toilet. What do you think this is?
Posted Fri, 28 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: See have colitis Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query, I am so sorry to hear about this rather embarrassing symptoms and all the inconveniences this has caused you. This most likely represents and inflammation of the rectum and colon. The cause cannot be established until the results of these tests return and provide some more insights into what is going on. I will suggest that you exercise some patience while we await this results so as to proceed in a logical and cost effective manner. These types of infections are often caused by amoeba, worms and or fungi. What happens is that the inflammation causes the increased secretion production(mucus) and sends false sensations of a full rectum to the defecation center that starts the defecation signal. Unless otherwise, this would be treated fully as soon as the results return. For now, our efforts should be geared towards making you adopt and practice measures that would guarantee you feeling safe in every place as well as preventing any accidents as you go about your daily activities. For this, I will advice that you consider emptying your bowels before living the house, resort to making just the very important trips that cannot wait until this problem is resolved, put on a protective under wear lining/pad just in case some feces leaks before you make your way to the bathroom. I understand how you feel about this and the impact it has had on you. However, I plead that you to bear with your treating doctor as he tries to identify the cause and treat accordingly. Please, keep me posted when the results return. Thank you so much for using our services. I wish you well and hope the above measures would be able to help you feel more comfortable pending a permanent solution to this. Feel free to request for more information and clarification if need be. Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD.