Should i be concerned about my new born TSH level?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Hi, My new born baby (30 days) has TSH level of 7.95 vs the normal range of (1.7 - 9.1). Please let me knw if this is something to worry about and is a case of Hypothyroidisim? T3 - 1.16 (Normal range 0.8- 2.0) T4 - 8.91 (Normal range 5.1 - 14.1) TSH - 7.95 (Normal Range for babies 2-20 weeke is 1.7 - 9.1)
Posted Tue, 18 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: not now Detailed Answer: Hi This is not a level to treat but should be followed up because it is the upper range of normal. T3 and T4 are normal. ( they will be in the lower normal range in borderline hypothyroidism Are there any symptoms like constipation,dry skin,prolonged jaundice etc? Pl repeat the test in a standard lab after 4-6 weeks. Good luck Dr Uma
Follow-up: Should i be concerned about my new born TSH level? 18 minutes later
Hi Uma, Thanks for the reply. He has been constipating from the past 4 days. But for the first 26 days his bowel movements were normal (5-7 times a day). And he was treated for jaundice on 3rd day through photo therapy (His levels were 17.9 before and after therapy came down to 8). Please let me know if a follow up with endocrinologist is advised.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: yes if available Detailed Answer: Hi, At present the results are acceptable. The cut off for treatment will be a TSH of 10. At birth there is a TSH surge and then it comes down in all kids. That is why I suggest that you repeat 4 - 6 weeks from the first test. You can consult a pediatric endocrinologist if available in your place. Good luck Dr uma