Should i be concerned about my husband's edema in the lower legs, ankles and feet?

My husband had a sudden attack of edema in the lower legs, ankles & feet. Along with this is shortness of breath when lying down and distended abdomen. Is this an emergency situation or can we wait a couple of weeks (until insurance kicks in) to see the doctor?
Posted Sun, 9 Mar 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 37 minutes later
Brief Answer: emergency Detailed Answer: Hello, Its important that you dont delay in seeking medical attention. These symptoms sometimes indicate heart failure or cardiac related issues. I suggest you seek emergency medical attention. Dont wait couple of weeks.