Should i be concerned about felling throat ache when my head is in certain positions?

ENT Specialist
Hi could you please advise what it could be when my throat hurts only when head is in certain positions such as laying down the pain isn't exactly in my throat it feels deeper than that but defiantly in the throat / neck region no trouble swallowing only breathing and when head is in certain positions
Posted Fri, 28 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please get an endoscopy done Detailed Answer: Hello First thing i would like to reassure you that this does not look serious and you dont have to worry much! There can be a few reasons for your complaints and we can only confirm this by doing your endoscopy, for which you should meet your ent doctor First possibility is you may be having a small mass in your throat , which will cause pain in certain positions. Another reason may be acid reflux, which specially increases on lying down and will be relieved on standing. Anther reason may be a small ulcer/erosion in your throat , which gets rubbed only in certain positions. Dont worry as none of these are very serious conditions and can be managed easily. Please meet your ent doctor for the endoscopy and further advice. Thanks
Follow-up: Should i be concerned about felling throat ache when my head is in certain positions? 32 minutes later
Hello Thankyou for your response The pain I described has only been present for 24 hours and came out if no where is this normal for the conditions you have suggested
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: It may be due to acid reflux or ulcer Detailed Answer: Hello Yes , pain due to acid reflux or ulcer can develop over a short period of time and can have positional variation. Since it is only for 24 hours, you need not go to the doctor immediately rather you can follow my advice lie Avoid hot , spicy and oily food. You may take take tablet omeprazole 20 mg , twice a day, half hour before food. I think it is available over the counter in your country. You can check with the pharmacist. If the pain persists for more than 3-4 days or it increases or you develop difficulty in swallowing,then i would like you to meet your doctor. Thanks