Should i be concerned about feeling light headed upon standing

The last 2 days, when I stand and walk around I fell light headed. Is this something to take serious?
Posted Sun, 23 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kavita Paul 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: there might be various causes Detailed Answer: Hi, I appreciate your concern.Feeling of Light headed on standing might be due to various causes. If i see such a patient of your age group in my clinic , I would like to rule out Anaemia, Postural Hypotension,Dehydration,Electrolyte Imbalance or any drugs leading to it. I would advisce you to take adequate amount of fluids and maintain good hydration. In case you are taking low sodium diet , try increasing the amount of salt in your diet.Monitor you Blood Pressure regularly , especially look for any fall in blood pressure on standing for few minutes. Certain drugs like antihypertensives, diuretics, nitrates etc can also cause such symtoms. In case you have persistent symptoms , then kindly contact your treating physician , who can perform a detailed physical examination and arrange for investigations like CBC, RBS, EKG, Serum Electrolytes etc. Hope it helps Dr. Kavita XXXXXXX