Should i be concerned about blood in stools, purple bumps on anus and discomfort anus?

I have had 2 slight bits of blood on toilet paper in the last 9 weeks plus some discomfort at anus as if bowel is full. Also I have seen 3 little bluish purple bumps at anus also especially if I strain. What could this be. 55 year old female. No other symptoms.
Posted Fri, 28 Mar 2014 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: different possible causes Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic There can be different possible causes for blood in the stool such as: (1) haemorrhoids - this can also present with lesions in the anal region. The blood is usually bright red and seen on wiping. Based on your history, this may be the cause in your case (2)fissure- this is a cut in the anal region. It causes significant pain on using the bathroom (3)diverticular disease- this is the formation of the out-pouches in the intestines . It happens in most persons with age but these pouches can sometimes become infected or inflamed causing bleeding (4)cancer of the colon (5)colitis- this is inflammation of the colon (6)constipation can cause cause bleeding and also worsen haemorrhoids Normally when a persons presents with a history of any bleeding in the stool or on wiping, as a doctor, we have to rule out the worse before considering any other options even though they may be more likely. Even though it is possible that your symptoms may be related to constipation and haemorrhoids your doctor may suggest investigations such as colonoscopy or barium enema to look at the colon. If you had one of these recently then they would not need to be repeated and treatment for haemorrhoids and constipation would be started. Treatment involves: (1) high fiber diet (2)stool softener at the moment to make it easier to use the bathroom (3)use of a sitz bath, 2 to 3 times as day for 10 to 15 minutes . This involves the use of warm water either on its own on with additives such as salt, epsom salt, witch XXXXXXX (4)avoiding prolonged sitting or standing It would best to visit your doctor for abdominal and rectal examination and tests such as the colonoscopy (if no recent one), blood tests (full blood count and ESR which checks for inflammation in the body). I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Should i be concerned about blood in stools, purple bumps on anus and discomfort anus? 11 minutes later
Thank you. Just really nervous and XXXXXXX 't eaten or slept much for 2 weeks. I 'm too scared to go to dr's. Waiting for an appointment with psychotherapist at the Priory in Glasow to try and break mental block.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: understandable Detailed Answer: HI It is scary to go to a doctor sometimes but it is important to remember but it is important to remember that the non cancerous causes are more common than the cancerous. It may not be anything serious but it would really be best, when you are ready, to have it checked out. Please feel free to ask any other questions