Should i be concerned about bleeding during pregnancy?

I am 7 weeks and 3 days pregnant. Today I saw blood as I wiped after urination. The blood was a brighter red (I feel as if I have already had my implementation bleeding that was dark red) and I did pass one blood clot. As I kept going to the bathroom, it was less and less. My stomach did do some mild cramping all night but subsided as I went to the bathroom for bowel movements. However, My symptoms are not as strong as they have been in the pass. I bought a Doppler and haven't been able to hear the baby's heartbeat. I have had a m/c before but had none of these symptoms! I have my first doctors appointment on Tuesday. Should I be concerned or alarmed?
Posted Fri, 14 Mar 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Kamalpreet Kaur 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: Should be concerned Detailed Answer: Hi. Welcome to HCM. Bleeding during early pregnancy is really a thing of concern.You should see your Dr. at the earliest and get one TVS (internal scan) done to see the growth and viabillity of foetus along with trophoblastic reaction, which will guide you to take further treatment . It can be a threatened pregnancy. Also get your routine blood investigations alongwith urine routine ex.Mild cramping can be due to this problem or some stomach infection. Since you have history of previous missed abortion , you should not ignore this. Thanks and take care. Good luck. Anything else, happy to help.
Follow-up: Should i be concerned about bleeding during pregnancy? 45 minutes later
How soon do your hcg levels go down? If there is a problem would i still get a positive pregnancy test? Is there any possibilty of me having a healthy pregnancy?
Answered by Dr. Kamalpreet Kaur 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: Possible of having healthy pregnancy Detailed Answer: Hi. I am also concerned and wish everything remains well and healthy. HCG levels go down in a couple of weeks, if missed abortion occurs and levels come to less than 5, which means no pregnancy only after the uterine cavity is empty. But we cannot rely on hcg levels alone as they may fall or be of lesser value in case ectopic pregnancy and at the same time, levels may be much higher in molar pregnancy. Moreover, it is more important to know that in normal ongoing pregnancy hcg doubling time is 48 hours and you need to repeat the test to see the trend. You may get positive pregnancy test if it is only a threatened pregnancy. There is still a possibility of having a healthy pregnancy as it can be a subchorionic bleed. But you need to get a scan to confirm all the things and aggressive management for that. Thanks.
Follow-up: Should i be concerned about bleeding during pregnancy? 6 hours later
I am on metformin. What is the liklihood of me m/c on that medicine?
Answered by Dr. Kamalpreet Kaur 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Metformin does not cause m/c. Detailed Answer: Hi dear. Are you taking metformin as tretment for PCOS. If so you should continue that in pregnancy also after the consultation of your treating dr. Metformin does not increase the likelihood of miscarriage. The reason can be something else in early pregnancy. I hope I have answered your queries, any other doubt, I am there to guide you. Thanks.