Should enlarged tonsils be removed?

I've had a few doctors tell me that I have enlarged tonsils and I should have them removed. I don't get sick very often but I do very often feel constriction in my neck around where my tonsils are. should I get them removed?
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: yes, get them removed Detailed Answer: Hello, I understand that you do not get sick often. However, you do feel the constriction. This is an obstructive symptom. It is an indication to undergo surgery. In my view, it is better for you to get them removed. Wish you good health. Regards,
Follow-up: Should enlarged tonsils be removed? 5 minutes later
I've been told that it is XXXXXXX to have that surgery as an adult (I'm 23). do you think its worth the risk? I also have asthma and even with medication still have breathing issues, do u think tonsils can cause shortness of breath?
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: benefit outweighs risk of surgery Detailed Answer: Hello, No, it is not XXXXXXX to have the surgery at 23 yrs. You can go ahead with it. It is definitely worth the risk. Your breathing issues would ease a bit with the surgery as well as it makes more space for air and breathing in your throat and upper airways. Big enlarged tonsils can cause shortness of breath due to mechanical obstruction of the airways. The benefits from the surgery definitely outweighs the risks in you. Hence, you should go for the surgery. Wish you good luck.
Follow-up: Should enlarged tonsils be removed? 2 minutes later
Thank you very much. I'll keep that in mind.
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: my pleasure Detailed Answer: Take care and regards,